The present contribution is part of a doctorate of search centralized on the work of the Palearo Fratino brothers, military engineers in the service of the Crown of Spain in the second half of XVI century. Through graphical analysis of historical maps and archival sources, we propose a digital model of the walls of Cagliari in the end of fifteenth century. At that time the perimeter of the fortified city still was the medieval work built by Pisa since 1217 and consisting of tall towers connected by curtain walls. The comparison of guns and occupation of Otranto by the Turks (1480), creating much concern to the Crown of Spain, who settled in the Island since 1323. These events lead to a strong push towards an adaptation of the existing fortifications, leading to the birth of the design solution that more than any other represents the hallmark of renewal: It was the pentagonal bulwark, designed by Francesco di Giorgio Martini and developed by Sangallo. The new element will find complete application only in the middle of the sixteenth century, in the strongholds of Cagliari and Alghero. Objective of the study is a three-dimensional graphical models of the walls of Cagliari, developed since the early sixteenth century. This model define the starting point for the study of projects, realized in the period between 1552 and 1572 by Rocco Capellino and by Jacopo and Giorgio Palearo Fratino (1573 -1578).
|Titolo:||Il disegno della città: le fortificazioni di Cagliari alla fine del Quattrocento|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2010|
|Tipologia:||4.1 Contributo in Atti di convegno|