Seventy to 40% of K-RAS wild type colorectal tumors does not seem to benefit from treatment with antiepidermal growth factor receptor (anti-EGFR) monoclonal antibodies. Recent data suggested that in presence of IGF-1 system, altered activation colorectal cancer cells may escape anti-EGFR mediated cell death. The interaction between IGF-1 expression and K-RAS mutational analysis was tested to verify the ability of IGF-1 to identify a subgroup of patients more likely to benefit from EGFR-targeted antibodies treatment. IGF-1 expression and K-RAS mutational status was assessed in advanced colorectal cancer patients receiving irinotecan/cetuximab. One hundred twelve patients were analyzed. IGF-1 was negative in 30 patients (27%) and overexpressed in the remaining 82 cases (73%). In IGF-1 negative and IGF-1 positive tumors, we observed progressive disease in 9 (30%) and 55 (67%) patients, respectively (p = 0.001). Median progression-free survival was 7.5 mo in patients showing IGF-1 negative tumors and 3 mo for IGF-1 expressing tumors (p = 0.002). Among K-RAS wild type patients, IGF-1 negative and positive tumors showed a partial response to cetuximab-irinotecan in 13 (65%) and 11 (22%) cases, respectively (p = 0.002). Median progression-free survival in IGF-1 negative tumors was 10 mo and 3.2 mo in IGF-1 positive colorectal cancers (p = 0.02). IGF-1 proved to be a possible predictive factor for resistance to anti-EGFR monoclonal antibodies in K-RAS wild type colorectal cancer. Combined IGF-1 and K-RAS analysis may represent an effective strategy for a better selection of responding colorectal cancer patients.
Scheda prodotto non validato
Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo
|Titolo:||Insulin-like growth factor 1 expression correlates with clinical outcome in K-RAS wild type colorectal cancer patients treated with cetuximab and irinotecan|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2010|
|Tipologia:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|